Late Night Meditations

Friday 21 September 2007

Gawd, I need to get off here!

I am just about to go, but before I do want to post this little snippet from my favourite voice at the moment, Madelaine L'Engle:

"The problem of pain, of war and the horror of war, of poverty and disease is always confronting us. But a God who allows no pain, no grief, also allows no choice. There is little unfairness in a colony of ants, but there is also little freedom. We human beings have been given the terrible gift of free will, and this ability to make choices, to help write our own story, is what makes us human, even when we make the wrong choices, abusing our freedom and the freedom of others. The weary and war-torn world around us bears witness to the wrongness of many of our choices. But lest I stumble into despair I remember, too, seeing the white, pinched-faced little children coming up to the pediatric floor of a city hospital for open-heart surgery and seeing them two days later with colour in their cheeks, while the nurses tried to slow down their wheelchair races. I remember, too, that there is now a preventative for trachoma, still the chief cause of blindnss in the world. And I remember that today few mothers die in childbirth, and our graveyards no longer contain the mute witness of five little stones in a row, five children of one family, dead in a week of scarlet fever or diptheria.

"George MacDonald gives me renewed strength during times of trouble - times when Ihave seen people tempted to deny God - when he says, "The Son of God suffered unto death, not that men might not suffer, but that their suffering might be like his."

Good night.

No comments

Post a Comment

Newer Older