Mess'n with yer mind

Wednesday 5 December 2007

"Just as no sound can exist without silence, nothing can exist without no-thing, without the empty space that enables it to be. Every physical object or body has come out of nothing, is surrounded by nothing, and will eventually return to nothing. Not only that, but even inside every physical body there is far more "nothing" than "something". Physicists tell us that the solidity of matter is an illusion. Even seemingly solid matter, including your physical body, is nearly 100 percent empty space - so vast are the distances between the atoms compared to their size. What is more, even inside every atom there is mostly empty space. What is left is more like a vibrational frequency than particles of solid matter, more like a musical note."

Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now
I find that concept alluring, exciting, mysterious.  I recall someone saying once, talking about atoms, that in some way the atomic elements are meant to repel each other, or crash into each other, or something (me didn't listen in science class) but there is some mysterious force holding them together. I tend to think that that very force itself is God. Holding everything together at an atomic level. How cool.

I love Tolle's description here of matter resembling a musical note rather than anything solid. I don't know if that discombobulates any of you, but to me it makes me drift. We are something akin to walking music. Cool.

Today, I feel like I'm walking death metal (cookie monster, cookie monster). But I know that this is a passing parasitical fancy. Sometime soon I shall be feeling a bit more mandolinial :)

No comments

Post a Comment

Newer Older