From little things big things grow ...

Thursday 20 March 2008

Jennifer linked today to the Dervaes family who began in the early 80s to set themselves up as self-sufficient on their standard house lot in the States. I've looked at one 'episode' of their vlog and it is fascinating stuff. I love what Jules Dervaes says here:

In our society growing food yourself has become the most radical of acts. It is truly the only effective protest, one that can - and will - overturn the corporate powers that be.

By the process of directly working in harmony with nature, we do the one thing most essential to change the world ... we change ourselves!
I was talking earlier with someone about what seasoning our world and "bringing out the God colours" might look like. It's funny, but it seems we are in a world where the most radical acts are often the most simplest. Perhaps it's always been this way; however, it seems so much more pronounced in these globalised times.

I have been planning forever to grow some veggies for myself. Home grown organic produce is just a teensie bit cheaper than the expensive shop bought alternatives. I don't want to eat pesticided vegetables, and I don't want to eat veggies that have been grown outside of my own country. I want to eat what's in season that I have planted myself. It really doesn't take too much effort. The physical effort, if I choose my day and make sure it's one where I'm not fighting off the flu (again), it's so simple that I can't quite work out why I haven't done it earlier.

Probably apathy from all the veggies I've eaten with DDT on them ;)

2 comments

  1. Sue, living simply in a wourld of such exhausting and paralyzing complexity not only is a radical act against something it is something that will help bring rest and peace to our weary minds.

    It's a wonderful thing. I love these gentle/disarmed violations of the crazy world system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite beautiful, isn't it?

    I see the emergents are getting tagged with the smallness label. I don't classify myself as emergent but I definitely identify with the god of the small things view. This is just wonderful.

    Gentle violations of the crazy world system. That has a nice ring to it :)

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older