Risk to Bloom

Friday 18 September 2009

If Collette can do it, I s'pose so can we.

And then the day came
when the risk to remain
tight in a bud was
more painful than the
risk to bloom.
~ Anais Nin

We all face this turning point repeatedly: when resisting the flow of inner events suddenly feels more hurtful than leaping toward the unknown. Yet no one can tell us when to leap. There is no authority to bless our need to enter life but the God within.

How often we thwart ourselves by holding tenaciously to what is familiar. It is instructive, if chilling, that in floral shops the roses that won't open are called bullets. They are discarded because they will never bloom. They have turned in on themselves so tightly that they can never release their fragrance.

Yet as spirits in bodily form, we have the chance to tighten and bloom more than once. But even spirits, if turned in on themselves enough, may grow accustomed to being closed. Unlike roses, however, the human chamber can be shut down for years, and still, it takes but one breath from the true center and we will flower.

It has always amazed and humbled me how the risk to bloom can seem so insurmountable beforehand and so inevitably freeing once the threshold of suffering is crossed.

I have a friend in recovery, and when asked what made him stop drinking, he says, "The pain of drinking became greater than the pain of not drinking." The same can be said for us all. We can flower in an instant, as soon as the pain of not flowering and not loving become greater than our fear.
Mark Nepo, The Book of Awakening

2 comments

  1. Hey Sue,

    I forgot to say in my previous post comment, that I was reading excerpts on Amazon.com about The Book of Awakening, & will order it.

    Didn't you have a long post in here somewhere about fatigue, God and McDonalds? Are you okay? Hope you're feeling better, & your courage is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sherry, yeah it's worth buying I think, definitely.

    I did have a long post in here but I deleted it because it was boring as batshit :) I am okay - feeling MUCH better. It feels like heaven to me when the fatigue levels drop. Life, just everyday normal life, is amazing when I feel better again. Thanks for asking, honey!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older