Are You Keeping Up

Thursday 31 March 2011

I forgot all about this ad.  My partner reminded me of it this morning at 6 am :)  What I want to know is, what's going down a waterslide got to do with anything?  Apparently people who are keeping up with the Commodore like watersliding.  Of all females who are watersliding at any given moment, going by advertisements an enormous proportion of them will also have their periods at the same time.   This will be demonstrated to you later via safe blue chalk and a glass and a piece of chalk and Mrs Marsh.

I will, for the term of my future menstrual history, forever buy the feminine hygiene products from the company that dares to show its product demonstrated with something red and a bit clotty.

But I digress.

Sixty-four kilobytes of memory the Commodore 64 had.  Woohoo!!!  Not really too hard to keep up with, I guess.  I remember playing "Worms" on the computer in my Grade 6 class at lunchtime.  Sort of like Pong ; lots of black screen with green graphics that consisted of ... well, lines, really, that grew like worms.  Your goal if you chose to accept it was to keep moving that growing worm all round the screen without running into any other part of yourself.  High-tech stuff, indeed.  Or at least it felt like it at the time :)


8 comments

  1. Wow. That must have been an Aussie thing. We had, much more appropriately than a waterslide, William Shatner. :)

    And later, Buzz Aldrin...makes sense...and uh...the Pointer Sisters? Ok, I admit, that's as irrelevant as a waterslide. :)

    Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE POINTER SISTERS

    I hate them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha haaaaa
    I live in regional Victoria
    they still have ads like that on local TV

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. The Commodore 64. I spent many hours playing King's Quest and Mario Brothers....my roommate had one that actually had 2 (yes, count them, TWO) external 5 1/4" floppy drives. High tech! That allowed us to play such amazing things as that aforementioned games. It even had a joystick... A few short months later I bought my first computer - top of the line available to the public at the time:: 16 color CGA monitor, 30 Meg Hard Drive 640K Ram (10x the Commodore!) Two built in 5 1/4" floppy drives.... and a Turbo button! Spent a lot of hours playing centipede.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a commodore amiga...What does it say about a person when they have feelings of nastalga for their first computer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Sue, that was my comment above. Damn and I see as usual you are a day ahead, I guess it's too late for April fools jokes in Aussie land.

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older