The Conversation

Friday 19 October 2012

This guy is rapidly becoming a hero of mine.  If we were only collectively to have one ongoing conversation, this in my opinion, would be the one that we need to continue to have.

The Occupy movement received its denigration at the time as being a movement that didn't know what it was on about.  But what it always seemed to me like was more of a container than a movement.  It was an empty container with a lot of questions.  That it was ridiculed only demonstrated the necessity of the question-asking and the discomfort of the people who didn't know what the answers were.

We have only just started having this conversation.  In other ways it's been going and unfolding in full force for the past 10 years.  It's been a privilege to experience it.  When I'm overwhelmed, and my despair is high at the Goliath/Davidness of the situation, still there is always that very small and fervent hope that continues to burn in the hope that love will win. 


4 comments

  1. Superb interview, Sue. Ghandi said something to the effect that, "...truth always wins in the end. Think of that - always." Power built on fear, on power for its own sake, contains the seeds of its own destruction. The history of empires shows that again and again. It's a mark of the immaturity of the human organism that it hasn't yet evolved beyond this silliness. And yet, if you know where to look, you see the birth of something magnificent going on parallel to all the mayhem. Truth is rising, and will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems so strange to protest something by saying occupy it. I assume that means take it on in term of responsibility to turn it around. I think we are very naive to think it actually can be done. But worry not, love will win, maybe not on Wall Street, but in every possible way in our private lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't like that word "occupy" either. But I guess to me what it means is it's saying that what was once hidden from the people by a small percentage is now being laid bare. I *do* think things can be turned around, and I don't think that that's a naive thought, but in terms of taking it on head-on - unless there are a whole lot of people willing to die, I think its demise is going to come about some other way. Probably from within, like he says. The seeds of their destruction already sprouting.

    But I do think all of the things we are doing are important to hasten that demise. It can only stand when a portion of the populace is asleep and allowing it to happen. I guess what I'm saying is what you are saying ~ I think that ultimately it's more important for us to be awake than anything else :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of my favourite comments ever :)

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older